Content marketing is kind of like the old saying if a tree falls in the forest and nobody’s there, does it make a sound? Well, if you create an amazing piece of content but no one sees it, does it actually provide you with any value?
So what happens once you create that amazing piece of content? Hopefully, you’ll promote it, and you’ll promote it a lot by doing so often and in multiple places.
But there’s actually more ways to get mileage out of that content than simply blasting it on your social networks, including it in emails and newsletters and doing whatever else may fall under your regular promotion activities.
Capitalize on the True Value of Your Content: The Message
When you really get down to it, what’s so valuable about your content is the message it sends, and there’s really no limit on how you can share that message with the world, so why not re-skin it across different types of content to extend its reach?
For example, let’s say you produce a white paper. Why stop there? You already have the messaging in place, and that significantly lowers the barrier to creating new content based on that initial white paper. With that in mind, you might consider creating a blog post, an eBook, an infographic, a video, a SlideShare and so on based on that same message.
If you know the message works well for your target audience and you’ve already done all the legwork to research that message, why not showcase it in multiple formats? Doing so can lead to several key benefits.
6 Benefits of Re-Skinning Existing Content
- Make Creating Content Less Intimidating: We have no doubt that anyone will tell you one of the hardest parts about producing content is staring at a blank screen. When you re-skin existing content, you already have a roadmap for what you need to say and how you need to say it, which can give you a lot of power over that dreaded blank screen.
- Increase Efficiency in Producing Content: The best content is well-researched, and that research takes time. By re-skinning content and applying that research to multiple new pieces, you can not only make the most of that hard work researching, but you can also increase efficiency in order to churn out new content faster by eliminating the need for new research for each piece.
- Extend the Reach of Your Content Team: Given the high demand for content and the lean size of most content marketing teams today, increasing efficiencies in content production can also help your content team produce more content (both re-skinned and entirely new pieces).
- Expand Your Audience: What’s appealing to one person might not be appealing to the next. For instance, C-level prospects might need something they can scan through quickly whereas managers might have more time to dedicate to reading an entire white paper. Additionally, role and job level aside, some people might respond more to visual content while others might prefer written content. By delivering your message in multiple formats, you can better meet all of these preferences.
- Hit New Channels: In addition to helping you play to different preferences among your traditional audience, re-skinning content can also help you uncover entirely new audiences by building a presence on new channels. If you decide to re-skin your content as YouTube videos or SlideShare presentations, for example, you might attract new people who are active on those channels who you wouldn’t have brought in otherwise.
- Cross-Promote Your Content: Beyond expanding your audience, re-skinning content can also help you strengthen your audience and build stronger leads with cross-promotion. Let’s say you write a blog post based on a new white paper — you’ll want to use that white paper as your call to action for readers to explore the topic in more detail. Doing so can help you drive traffic to the white paper by further piquing interest and, if you’re white paper is gated, better gauge interest based on whether or not someone is willing to fill out a form to learn more.
While you certainly don’t want to overdo it and be a one-trick pony topic-wise, there are a multitude of opportunities to get more mileage out of your existing content and capitalize on benefits like these by re-shaping your top messages for different formats and audiences.